History



The new 1885 schoolhouse with Libby Lamb (teacher from New York) posed outside with her students. Interior view taken on May 19, 1912.


HISTORY: On December 31, 1885, a New Year's Eve Ball was held in the nearly completed Salina Schoolhouse. When it was finished in early 1886, at a cost of nearly $1,500, the Boulder County Herald proclaimed it "The Pride of Salina". Classes were held in the building until 1952. The owner of the mining claim on which the schoolhouse stood gave the building and some land around it to the residents of Salina.

In 1993, we received a grant from the Colorado State Historical Society to restore the schoolhouse and outhouses, to install a cistern and septic field, and to convert one of the outhouses into a modern convenience with a sink and toilet.

In September 2010, the bathroom burned in the Fourmile Canyon Fire, and was rebuilt in 2011.

In September 2013, the remaining 1885 outhouse tipped over in a mudslide during the flood. The outhouse was repaired and the large rock retaining wall behind it has been rebuilt.